Sunday 23 March 2014

23 Mar -Morning glory and ladybugs



الرحمن الرحیم بسم الله

In the name of Allah most Gracious, most Merciful.

 

 

23 March 2014 (3 in the morning.)

I am over tired and unable to fall asleep. Half the night I have spent chasing a mosquito all around the room. There is no sense of victory as I squish it against the wall leaving a “bloedkol”. So much for co existing. I decide to start writing.
I like to think that beyond patience and perseverance organic gardening teaches us respect for the environment. Unless we think of our garden as a micro ecological system where everything can co-exist harmoniously and has a role to play, we miss the point completely. To get right that balance is the challenge. From co existing with garden pests and predators to understanding the crucial role that bees and other pollinators play.

To have a good organic garden is for us to act as sentinel to the soil and to enhance it and to feed the soil and the plants will flourish. When we add organic material such as manures and compost we encourage life in the soil such as various tiers of insects, animals and micro life necessary for success. So if we want to invite birds to our garden, we need to have worms and a birdbath. The trick is to get the balance right and to plant a variety of plants that create ecosystems and sub systems and then we may prevent diseases because each plant has a unique role to play. To remember that butterflies were once those caterpillars eating the cabbage and broccoli but in its adult form helps to pollinate our blossoms. A chicken run under fruit trees helps improve the soil with their droppings and reduce pest issues.
So inshaAllah, let’s stop chopping down trees for lavish paved areas and destroying natural habitats; stop using chemical fertilisers and insecticides and stop filling in our wetlands with clay and rubble in order to build complexes. The flocks of birds that long ago filled the sky at Magrib time are sadly reduced.

That said, our first mounds of sand appeared amongst the butternut plants this morning. My first reaction as I watered the area was to push the hosepipe into the holes it made and flood the holes and tunnels of the mole. Then I remembered that last year I pulled out my hair as a gopher ran rampage and made tunnels through my perfect beds. But I think it’s my pride and vanity and being territorial. So I took a deep breath, reciting Subhaanallah under my breath and acceded that they too have a role to play. I will appreciate that they too control some pests, create ventilation in the beds and the fine soils that they push up, I will calmly rake it to level the soil.

InshaAllah, we are definitely planning on getting some chickens and ducks, I believe that the favourite diet of ducks are slugs and snails. And the household would love a cat, slinking around, rubbing up against our legs and providing us with much affection. Besides cats keep the rodents around under control and shoos the birds from the strawberries (must not forget to plant catnip). Maybe a cat will also keep the mole at bay.
Alhamdulilaah, this week I turned my attention to flowers in the gardens. Mainly because they are so beautiful and also because they attract pollinators to the fruit trees and veg patch with the nectar they create. I have my own personal favourites. I love a rambling rose, called the seven sisters - memories of my childhood. I seeded poppies of many colours, forget me not’s, nasturtiums, black eyed Susie, gyps and daisies. Already there are many varieties of bougainvillea In the garden, a dippladena is starting to grow towards the pole. The gardenias have taken to transplant well. I also created a corner for cacti or crassulas. They grow so easily many have medicinal qualities such as the aloes. I received a rather thick skinned bunch looking like roses and as it got used to the sun it turned a bright red. And today, I planted twelve small lavender plants at the edge of the fruit trees.

ABubakr bought some used dust bins the ones that are used in hotels for about R20 each. It is made of wood and has a metal bin lining it in blue. I have decided that I would plant some bulbs for winter. It would look swell with daffodils and freesias. But even better with tulips.
I bought a metre and a half high lemon tree today and am so chuffed that a close friend of mine has offered to buy an orange tree for the other barrel, shukran so much. I visited my brother today and found a small fig tree growing in the wall in his garden. At the back of his house/lush garden are endless trails of morning glory. As he lifted the creepers I was enchanted with the golden ladybugs crawling around, I believe that is where they are always found. So I brought some morning glory root cuttings home to meander in the garden and some golden ladybugs too but they took off and nestled under the basil bushes.
I am so thankful for all the cutting and extra plants and goodies that he and his dear wife packed in and particular overjoyed at all the lemon grass as he thinned his patch. Thanks Zain and Soraya and thank you Allah!!

Have a fabulous Sunday evening and don’t forget to plants herbs too.
Yasmine
 Old friends and great companions

No comments:

Post a Comment