Thursday 14 August 2014

On getting one’s groove back.


In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful – neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him..

14 August 2014.

Have not felt like writing this past few days, heck have not felt like anything. I have no reason to feel this way. I have my studies under control, teaching materials are ready, the garden is progressing, I am not sick. But just so lethargic. Did not feel like cooking; hard to wake up in the morning; cleaning on the surface only, camera sits next to the computer - sorry no pics.
So I justify it for myself, all the turmoil in the world with Palestians, the Syrians, The Christian and Yazidi Iraqis, my favourite actor Robin WIlliams’s passing (I so loved The fisher king , Patch Adams, Dead Poets Society and Goodwill Hunting movies), electricity outages, and other things I had to do - must have just taken all of my energy. And on top of it, a teacher’s mountain bike got nicked right out of the school in the broad daylight. Oh no, so sorry Sh Saalim. It’s hard enough with electricity and fuel and food so expensive.

turnip
Then I jumped into action. Went outside and started weeding the patches. You’ll be surprised how pulling out grass and weeds can be enjoyable once you look back at your work and you work your back a bit! Abu brought some broad bean seedlings and we started planting. And I spied a fat turnip just waiting to be pulled out. Got the smoothies going; took a long shower; made my hair pretty; put on my lipstick and eye pencil. I pushed back all the static and started to count all of my wonderful blessings. A shopping list of Alhamdulilah.
 Alhamdulillah for the air that I breath; for waking up in the morning; for a good partner and amazing children; for a roof over my head; food in my house; relatively good health; eyesight and hearing;  wonderful garden; wonderful supervisors; for superb students; good friends; great family and the list got to more than a page and by the time I got to the next, hey energy levels up again and busy figuring out how to get some volunteers to come and help us on Sunday morning at Garlandale High School’s Organic food gardens.

So here I am calling on help for our friend Sayed Mohamed who needs assistance with weeding and planting. We will be gathering on Sunday at 8.30 am. I need volunteers who are prepared to enjoy getting their hands dirty and some to volunteer some warm koeksisters or doughnuts and coffee. And please wear gum boots for the gumboot dance. Just kidding. Please email me or inbox on FB if you can help.

Plant food and get your hands dirty and be thankful for small mercies.

Yasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment