Saturday 17 May 2014

18 May - A place called the Dry Dock


In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful

Just as you doze off to sleep, you hear a sound, the sound of a glass bottle that has toppled over. You’re tired, after a full day of washing and cleaning out spaces that has escaped your attention for a while. You toss and you turn but alas sleep evades you. So you think about what to cook for lunch and a special visitor. I contemplate cutting up a chicken and seasoning it with garlic, ginger and a medley of freshly ground spices. I don’t know about you but I love playing around with recipes, so I think of Faldela Williams’ Rhus Bukhari recipe and decide to use chicken instead of mutton and remind myself to include the curry leaves I pruned earlier and to buy an orange. I also remind myself to make a fresh garden salad and some Dai (almost like tatziki). But then I decide against it because I will wake up the entire household.
So I get up pull on some socks and patter down the passage way to on the kettle. I look out and the starry sky is beautiful, the sky is light but I cannot see the moon. As I look over to the veg patch the rubbish is strewn all over the place, courtesy of our neighbour’s dog. And I grind my teeth! And in my mind I accuse the dog of sommer also sniffing out the chameleon.

I make some hot tea and raisin bread and as I come up the passage the light is on and Abu is awake too. So we have a midnight picnic and he grabs his book while I put my thoughts to paper. Surely I must feel sleepy after that. So here I am sharing and some of my thoughts.
Today I thought to share a bit of a book I plan to publish, one day InshaAllah, I’m not sure what it will be called yet but it’s about my memories of District Six and our travels.

THE DRY DOCK OF MY MAGICAL CHILDHOOD
Pic Ian Huntley
I was born on the slopes of Devil’s Peak, in a place called the Dry Dock. At the entrance to the area, the beginning of Maidstone Street, graffiti was sprayed on the wall: “You are now in Fairyland”. There where youngsters went to the old slate quarry (Vredehoek quarry) on Sunday afternoons to meet friends and smoke and tell jokes or simply just to get away from the adults. Where children drowned in the murky waters. Where we ran the gauntlet of the traffic over two double lanes of cars zooming round the sharp bends of De Waal drive, praying my Mom would never find out. Waiting for her to holler “Tammy, Yasmine en Adli.” The De Waal drive where thousands of protesters marched down to protest against the “dompas”. And where the white students of the University of Cape Town rolled down their floats on Rag Day to do their social responsibility and collect monies for Shawco.

Very few coloured people could attend that university you know. According to some, the Dry Dock got its name because the workers of the Dry Dock were the first people to live there. Some say it is because one could look out over the Dry Dock from where we lived. No matter, some called it the Draai and some called it the Dry Dock of District Six.
The first strands of grey appeared in my mother’s hair when the bulldozers came. Everything she knew as home would change forever.  Everything we knew would transform. Our home was a place filled with laughter and debates and singing and praying and smells of Cobra polish and Brasso on Thursdays.  On the eve of Eid, new paint and curtains and linoleum competed with onions braising and the sweet smell of fragrant rice. Those were the years when Muslims in the Cape celebrated Eid on the same day, when the moon was sighted with the naked eye from Greenpoint and Signal Hill. The humming of hairdryers and Columbus polishers filled the air and mustard seeds and cumin danced in hot oil. The banging of dominoes on a blanketed table while the radio blared Hey Jude in the background. Then the silence of the dominoes and the radio when the [1]mu’athin calls to prayer.

When I was 11 years old the area was declared “a white area” and the colourful people of the Dry were forcibly removed to The Cape Flats. To Hanover Park and Manenberg and Retreat and Steenberg; to Lansdowne and Primrose Park and Surrey Estate and Bonteheuwel and Heideveld. There where we walked with torches in rows like soldiers through the bushes to the bus top, to the train station, to the city, to work, to school, to everywhere and nowhere. Everyday back to the estranged city where we grew up.
The day the truck came to load our furniture and ourselves, I did not look back, much like the biblical stories of destruction. Later as an adult I would come back time and again to that barren, bulldozed graveyard. Driving past to the Zonnebloem where my kids attend the art school, George Golding another primary school that I attended, The Technikon and the Indian Plaza, the rows of new houses that are supposed to look like the old. The new built on memories. Only the mosques, churches and schools remained. The [2]Malaaieka  look after sacred places. And of course there was the Silver Tree clubhouse. Where my brothers played rugby and my sister and I went for ballet and piano lessons and swung on the swings and monkey bars.  The Silver Tree Clubhouse was the hub of the area; in fact it was the hub of our world. We would play there after coming home from slamseskool[3], during the school vacation and every weekend.  Rugby and cricket and athletic events were weekend specials.

There, was a palm tree in Boeta Jackie’s yard standing firm. Childrens’ voices chanting[4]Alif doewa dettis an, alif doewa bouwa in, alif doewa dappan oen – an, in, oen of our soerat (Quranic Arabic) lessons at the slamseskool at Boeta Moetjie. He taught us about Islam in the afternoon and in the morning he held an ordinary job. We wore a pants under our dresses and our scarves folded in the shape of a triangle. We walked up the path to De Waal drive and down to the double-storeyed house of Boeta Moetjie. Mondays to Wednesdays he would let us recite from the soerat and on Thursdays we had koples, where he made us fall in love with the Prophet Muhamad (PUH) and all the other prophets. He taught us about the seven kinds of pure waters we could use to bath or take ablution with. And it was with him that we learnt about the pillars of our Islam and our Emaan: Arkaanul Islami khamsatun and Arkaanul Emaani Sittatoen
Lydia Preparatory School, was where we went for our preparatory years. Lydia is actually the only school in District Six that is named after a slave who was living in bondage at Zonnebloem. It is said that when she was freed, she lived in a little cottage that became the school most children of the Dry Dock attended.

When I went to the George Golding Primary School the one ex pupil that our principal would mention at least once a week was the ballerina Johaar Mosavel who as a child had attended our school. He would always mention him as a role model to us, dancing at the time as principal dancer with the Royal Ballet School.
It inspired me so that I convinced my sister that we could be ballerinas and we joined the Silvertree Ballet Club where UCT students would teach us before going to slamseskool. We wore black leotards and pink Alice bands and soft kid leather ballet shoes that white kids donated to the poor,  learning to do our pliés and arabesques and learnt to curtsey. It all went well until we had to dance in the concert. My father vehemently forbade us, “Muslim girls to be dancing on the stage nogal!” “But I am a puppet with clothes on and Tammy is a soldier.” I think it was pantomime of the Tin soldier. “NO! and that’s that.”

When I think about it I can’t help but giggle. My kids giggle now when at any given time I stand with one hand lightly on the bar (back of a chair) with my feet in the third position and to music no one’s hears but me, I do my demi pliés and my Grand pliés. Then I do my arabesques and my Pas de chats and I break into a curtsey and the applause is maddening.

Anyway, that’s all folks, maybe some more writing later.

Plant food and have midnight picnics.

Yasmine

 

 




[1] The caller to prayer
[2] Angels
[3] Muslim school or madrassa
[4] Phonetic sounding of the Arabic alphabet

No comments:

Post a Comment