Wednesday 22 October 2014

A short note on broad beans

In the name of Allah most gracious, most merciful.
 

Also 22 October 2014.

So I am walking through the veggie garden with a view to what's for supper. And I notice that the broad beans bushes are thick with beans. The beans in my garden are actually Vicia Faba, Family: Fabaceae. So its called broad bean, fava bean, double bean and also ful beans as in the Sudan and Egypt.

I am thinking some beautiful curry with many vegetables. Lentils, pumpkin, cauliflower, butternut, baby potatoes and yep some broad beans. That's sounds about right yes. (posted the recipe a bit back with roti the hot water kind). I check if there is enough butter for roti, I will not make the warm water kind but the normal - what we call Kaapse roti.

Just 4 cups of cakeflour, salt and about 2 cups or less of cold water kneaded to a soft bubbly dough; made into small balls; rolled out and stretched into wide disks; buttered generously; rolled up into a flute and into a coil like a snake charmer. Then chilled and rolled out and fried later when the curry is done.

Methinks I will stick to the curry and roti but it is worthwhile noting that it should not be eaten raw though and can be fatal to people with the rare hereditary condition known as G6PD, for whom ingestion can cause 'favism', a type of anaemia. But they are excellent sources of fibre, vitamins A and C, potassium and iron and protein. Apparently they contain L-dopa  a chemical the body uses to produce dopamine, an important neurotransmitter involved in learning, mood control and motivation, yay bring on the beans!

I check on google what else can be made with broad bean and fall in love with the bbcgoodfood.com with pictures and recipes which I will try this week inshaAllah.see end of blog.

plant food and grow fava beans or double beans or broad beans
(However want to name it.)

Yasmine
ps. I have some plants of many varieties for sale, email or inbox me please.

 
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3098/spinach-broad-bean-and-feta-salad









http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-do-broad-beans

No comments:

Post a Comment