Friday 23 January 2015

Dew drops on lime leaves


In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful.

 
 24 January 2015.
After 5 am

I try to fall asleep but the birds are already collecting; the Wolverine mews heartrendingly to out in the wild. I contemplate because his wounds have just healed –long gashes hidden in his thick fur. But I relent.
I can’t go back to sleep anyway I am far too excited –it’s Orientation Day for the iLABS IHYA course. I throw open the doors and the chill misty air fills the house. I decide that freshly baked scones will be lekker for tea time with a medley of spreads –cheeses and konfyts and jams. So I preheat the oven to a hot temperature, in the meantime prepare some breakfast –  Wolveine and I mix the dough.

I step outside with a soft pssstttwww just to check and our kitty bounds out of the brush, fur damp from the morning dew and excited after chasing a bird or a lizard or whatever he loves to chase. I was worried about his limp and relieved that he can still stride out fully to race me round the corner. Subhanallah the morning is fresh and damp and the leaves are filled with dew. A solitary bee comes to check is if it’s time to nectarise and decides to wait for the sun to warm up the petals. Wolverine mews for me to pick him up, I guess a bit insecure and his paws are full of sand!

I notice more chillies on the bush. The pink bougainvillea has its first summer flowers. I keep on snapping - the bee; the abundance of figs; the dew on the lime tree; the first white hibiscus; the last of the cherry tomatoes. I dip my finger into the dew drop on the leave. It’s cold and pure somehow.
 
 












I remember the scones in the oven and rush indoors, phew that was a close call. I sit down with a good cup of tea and warm scone and mentally check if I prepared the attendance register, proofed the prelims and introduction notes and wake up the rest. Will chat again when I get back, have to get packed and dressed and off to start the day.
 

Plant food and taste the dew drops.

Yasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment