Thursday 22 January 2015

Whats for supper? Chappaties and brinjal surprise

In the name of Allah the most gracious, the most merciful.

 
 
22 January 2015.

Alhamdulillah, our Orientation sessions at IPSA was wonderful today. I needed to start moving on from a painful bladder and ek is sommer reg! Good to see all the old faces Nadeemah, Gadija, Ibtisam, Masnoenah and all the rest. Everyone looks rested and tanned.

Sheikh Dawood led our session patiently.  Really loved the talk of our new Head of Department - Sheikh Mohamad Al Kholi about the beauty of Arabic and how to approach its study and application. Ms Kamalie briefed about Ground rules for the students and they look forward to placing their signatures on IPSA's values poster. In fact they are excited.

A sizeable group of post matriculants, and people who decided to stop  whatever they are busy with to do the Higher Certificate in Islamic Studies (which it is now called). I noticed a few students of last year have enrolled to do the BA Theology. We are excited for the iLABS team to start the Global Leadership and Life Orientation Course.

But most importantly, the gourmet garden has stood the test of summer and staff or students to water it. The lettuce and beans and basil has seeded and as I gathered them into tissues I was quite chaffed. This year inshaAllah the students of last year will hand over the Amaanah of the garden. We will replenish soils and cheer up some scraggly bushes, plant new seedlings and sow some more seed. This year Insha'Allah our Stewardship module starts earlier in the year with Allah's grace. But first a HUGE HUGE shukran to Boeta Gamiet's daughter for watering the plants in the vacation period.

I think this year IPSA is ready for some strawberry plants too, we have more space and time and new students who wants to impress, I'm not complaining. We came home to find the cats lounging in the sun and after a tidy up as we came home and a well deserved feet up for me I wandered through the gardens. There is not a strawberry in sight, many children pick them all the time, but no matter. 


I watered the transplanted ones deeply and as I lifted up the thick brush in the huge wooden crate, I skrikked so much I sommer ran inside to get Abu, the kids and the camera. A lush humongous brinjal, blou balle soos ons hie in die Kaap sê. And right next to it a beautiful green pepper. Of course I danced a jig! So whats for supper? Hmmm I have some mutton sausage that methinks I will steam out all excess fats, cool it down and deep fry in a batter of self raising flour, a spoon of butter rubbed in, salt to taste, grated nutmeg, an egg and some milk to make a smooth batter. I will coat the steamed sausage with this batter and deep fry (my Daddy used to call this chappaties). On the side a sweet sour tomato smoortjie with loads of basil and dem new hot chillies. The main side dish? Slices of brinjals sprinkled with salt and masala, soaked in a bit of lemon juice and fried quickly until soft in olive oil. A sprinkling of thyme when cooked en voila!

Did I not say the garden with its blessings has a way of making everything worthwhile?

Plant food and grow brinjals.

Yasmine

.

No comments:

Post a Comment