Sunday 13 April 2014

13 April - Sowing the seeds of love


In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful. Verily, Allah created the heavens and the earth, He is the one who gathers the clouds and sends the rains to nourish the land such that we can enjoy the glorious bounties of it. He is the one who splits the seeds and grants it life.
 
 13 April  2014
 


 
There are many ahadith that encourages the planting of seeds:
If one is planting a seed and Qiyaamah  approaches, you should finish planting it. The one who plants a tree that animals, insects and human beings can benefit from is rewarded by Allah for as long as the tree lives.

The thing about seeds is that it is so joyous to watch their germination and development; they are our source of feeding the world and in all forms they are excellent for one’s health especially when they have just germinated into sprouts – they then contain super nutrients. It is also far cheaper to plant from seed than to buy seedlings but it does demand some patience in return. I am not even going to venture all the analogies for seeds, except one Sufi saying about rearing children that goes something like this: You can till the soil and plant the seeds with love and care but it may be that the pruning and the fruits are not for you. You can but beseech Allah to send the rain.
With modernity people across the world are fighting transnationalist companies who, for profit, appropriates a very basic human right of access to seeds by patents and developing exclusivist seed banks- to basically own the rights of God given seeds with government approval nogal (I did say for profit, ja?).

To stamp their own signature on seeds – they, Mosanto genetically modifies seeds, patents them to sell back farmers who in turn have to buy seed every year, instead of their normal practice of reseeding for themselves. I am not going to even discuss the fallout of GMS on health issues and how it has destroyed original seed crops.
Did you know that during the 80s with the crumbling of the old regime in Russia, the American Department of Agriculture sent in special teams who systematically find combed Russia, village to village, buying up different varieties of fruit, vegetables seeds and who knows what else with the intention of stealing it. Today one finds more than 30 new varieties of strawberries on the market in America known as gourmet strawberries.

I shudder to think what has happened in countries like Egypt, Afganistan,Iraq, Syria, Libya – who appropriates the seeds while the country is bleeding? When one thinks about it – just go to their local markets buy out their seed crops and rename it, stick your name on it and sell it back to them, sounds crazy right? We think that plundering and stealing only involves raw materials, food is more valuable than gold today. Return on investment on cabbages last year gave one 239% return on investment.

Let’s collect and share our own clean seed and educate and lobby support from people and farmers and claim back the ni’mahs that Allah has placed on earth for us. This is a basic human right, a right from Allah, a right that we must insist on and be proactive about for future generations.
On another note, the weather is dry and hot - a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes – I don’t even want to talk talking about midnight mosquito manoeuvres in the dark. It is perfect weather though for making compost– Abu and Basil have stacked layers of straw, manure, dried leaves, kitchen waste, straw, manure, dried grass cuttings into a stack that looks kind of like a lasagne with no white sauce on top. This heat will speed up the breakdown of bacteria and with the grace of Allah we will be able to enrich new beds.

Personally I get a thrill out of planting seeds – coriander, fenugreek, mustard, linseed, beans, peas, turnips, onions, leeks and flowers such as black eyed Susie, lavender, forget me nots, nasturtiums, borage, Echina, cacti and poppies. Fruit seeds that I have had success with has been lemons, dates, mangos, granadilla, avocados and of late? I received a delightful few figs from a friend, the dark red variety. So I sacrificed but a quarter of it. I scraped it onto a piece of brown paper and dried it out and then sprinkled them over some rich soil. Now tiny leaves are appearing in the soil. I sommer look into my spice cupboard and grab the seeds that I have at hand. But let me be the first to admit that I have had about 80% luck, but I will continue trying to put in unusual ones. I have tried to plant ginger so many times but after a while it disappears into the soil. Now I realise that I should choose plump and robust ones with smooth. I should soak the rhizome in luke warm water until the next day and cover them with soil but to leave the surface exposed. I am so going to try again.
I intend to plant some cumin seeds as well as cardamom and to learn from this process, I do believe it’s also possible to plant nutmeg from seeds both male and female. And from time to time I sprout my own seeds for household use such as lentils, mung dahl, peanuts etc. My kids have developed a taste for it and don’t hesitate to sprinkle them on their cheese or cold meat sandwiches. This is how I sprout seeds:
 

·         I use a plastic bottle maybe the two litre variety or a big glass jar.

·         I soak the pulses (mung dahl or lentils) overnight and then rinse thoroughly the next day.

·         The plastic bottle should be cut down to half; tie a piece of muslin over the top it should be able to breathe. With the jar on the other hand I would knock holes in the lid. I turn it upside down and keep it in a cool dark place and rinse 3 times a day.

·         In hot weather a root will form at the end of day one in cold weather maybe the next day.

·         By the 3rd day I will bring it into the sun say on the window sill to allow to green. (Remember to rinse the seeds every day.)

Then I divide them and place them into containers with a damp serviette and refrigerate. Its shelf life is very short so don’t make too much or better still make enough and share it with a friend. Try it you will be surprised how easy it is to sprout your own seeds.

Make sprouts, plant seeds and eat lots of nuts.

Till later

Yasmine

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment