Tuesday 22 April 2014

22 April 2014. Up close and personal


In the name of Allah Most gracious, Most merciful


 
22 April 2014

Whenever we start a new workshop series, a 5-month course or a yearlong certificate we spend time getting to know the participants and for them to get to know us and each other, (if they were meeting for the first time) taking our time so everyone gets comfortable. Then we negotiate rules of engagement.
The last round of introductions with a group of youth went something like this:

Please spend a few minutes chatting to your buzz partners and then introduce one another in the following way: Introduce your partner; an adjective that describes her/him; what are your partner’s goals are for this year and something about him/herself that was shared with you and can be shared in this forum.
As time was up I said Abubakr and I would go cold turkey  and introduce one another. Abubakr’s eyes said it all, round and wide and surprised but with confidence he starts out to say that I am his wife Yasmine (last time some students asked us where our respective partners were because they were worried that there was a vibe between us Abubakr Shabudien and Yasmine Jacobs – huge guffaws). That I am spritely (huh?), that my goal is to have us eat all of our vegetables solely from the garden and that I adore my grandson Mikaeel. I, in turn said that an adjective describing him would be astute or witty, his goal for this year could be or should be to get a car that we can all fit into and drive far up country and that he has sketched a hundred Madibas and sold a few in Washington. It was easier after that for the rest to start.

The fact of the matter is that when you teach something you must try to live up to it – so I interrogated myself about my goals for this year as I over-emphasise that niyyah (intention) and maqsad (objective) is what we need to put into place and realise and then the learning will be manageable and even enjoyable. So with the grace of Allah SWT, hoping they are smarter these are my gardening goals for this year:

  1. to be able to get all of our food from the garden, albeit seasonal.
  2.  to share this knowledge with as many people as we can
  3. to be self-sufficient in terms of our own seed/seedlings and compost
  4. to have success with the following crops: garlic, potatoes, granadillas and olives
  5.  to learn to make cheese, pasta from scratch, croissants and phyllo pastry.

I know that all of my goals may not be realised for different reasons but hey, a girl’s got to set some goals. We should also realize that we can set goals but there is no certainty that those goals will be realized without the permission of the Almighty. The thing about goals is that it serves as reminders to ourselves of where we should be heading – to our ultimate goal.  It may different things for different people but for myself my ultimate goal is to refine my relationship and bond with my Creator and for my Lord to be pleased with me now and in the Hereafter. Having said that, every year I set out goals to make that goal and an action plan to temper myself and my nafs (ego). And to realize such a goal, one breaks it up into bite size pieces.

Over the years I have always set myself goals of new culinary dishes and desserts and ended up putting them together in a recipe book (it’s still being tested and edited). I have an overall goal to be fit, so I walk more and more briskly. I open and close the heavy gate and walk around the property many many times a day and aspire towards attending Tai Chi class again and finding a pool close by.

For me to realize the organic gardens to its full potential I have to continue to learn, to exchange, to read to discuss and to experiment. For example, to realize my goal for the potatoes, that are not planted in tyres or in bags but a crop in ditches in the soil, I developed my own seed potatoes and researched the best possible methods. I also need to remember that some goals need to be flexible or should I say smarter. We need the space for the strawberries so I will plant potatoes in the two baths instead.

So even if we are nearly in the middle of the year set yourself some goals; put it on the fridge, on the mirror, on your pc, on your phone to remind yourself. You will certainly be more focused and not sweat the small stuff.
 
But how does one know that the garden is complete or as complete as it can get for the season?

When sparrows fly low over ones head at dusk; a lizard suns itself on the warm path; seeds abundantly germinate; beans and peas reach out their tendrils to climb up the fence and the bees, bugs and butterflies flutter from flower to flower, and of course when children can have fun in the garden. It is that absolute space where nature and human endeavor meet to co-exist in order to create harmonious living whereby we can all benefit.

Stay in the mercy of Allah and plant trees. And set some goals.

Yasmine


No comments:

Post a Comment