Thursday 12 June 2014

11 June 2014 Madam, ginger goes with everything.


In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful.

I dream of lavender fields at the back of my house, you know like the ones you see on cards and surreal wallpapers – purple for miles and miles and then a small farm house. Unfortunately we don’t have that much space. But I think that’s why Abu is doing so many cuttings for that one day. We have planted about 50 plants all over the property and planted out so many cuttings. I thought that if I ever had a lavender farm I would make lavender oils and soaps and creams and wholesome lavender biscuits, and beehives close by inshaAllah, anything is possible with Allah. So this is our first crop in the vase, don’t laugh. According to literature, I mean Google, one is supposed to cut the blooms of the first crop so the next flush will be magnificent.
With all the sore throats going round I gargle with a sage infusion, dress warmly and get outside to plant ginger, what with the sun shining down on us. I figure with it being so expensive I should plant my own. The Sudanese call it Zanjabil (sp?)The ginger swelled out well and I cut about 17 pieces of rhizome with little growths on them. I started to stuff in name boards because seriously we have some grow bags, not sure what has been planted in them ha ha, surprise! The benefits of ginger are many and I use it in curries, ice teas, infusions for colds. Koeksisters and soetkoek also contain ground dry ginger. But I love it best when glazed to pop into my mouth and also finely diced in chocolate and ginger biscuits. Ginger beer also helps lactating Moms bring on the milk! Oh of course and whole dried ginger in fig and melon preserves.

I noticed that the thyme seeds are handling the cold well and the chamomile is probably out of season thus only a few stand strong. But I am determined and reseeded today with a huge Basmallah and closed them up for the night with black bags. Abu had a rash on his back this afternoon and I squeezed out some bulbinella sap and applied it. The rash is still there but not so angry red and the itching has stopped. See it works.
The cooked beets were delicious, and although I like to make a beet salad with white vinegar and a hot chilli, it tastes by far superior to eat it freshly boiled, peeled  and cut into wedges, tucked into green salad with feta or on its own. The methi has really taken off and I can’t wait to try that methi curry! And the radishes so cute – bright red and tasty.  I poked my finger around the turnips and carrot roots to see whether they are usable yet and I think in about two weeks time, all the veggies in the soup will come from the garden, Thank you Allah.

I have also learnt many lessons with the first crops. Firstly, bad idea to plant the peas at the base of the wigwams. They are so unruly, reaching out their tendrils and half choking everything in reach. They grew so densely that the sun does not reach the other plants in the centre of the wigwams. Even though I tie them up they continue to frolic all over the rest of the vegetables. But they are so lush and beautiful and the crop is rewarding.
 
So the vegetable patch is now a beautiful sight to behold. When we were on Hajj, we met a man called Emaan from Indonesia. We came up from the haram one night and just heard a “Hi”.  Who says Hi in Makkah? Up comes a man with the boat shaped furry fez tilted to the one side of his head, broad smile and introduced himself to us - having worked for the United Nations.

Anyway, long story short, he was relating some stories about his Dad having passed on  at the age of 128 years; outlived 4 wives at different times and many many children and grandchildren. I, of course, “So what was the secret of his longevity?”
“Well”, said he “my father went to bed and the last thing he drank was a cup of lukewarm water, he did the same when he woke up (his drinks were never piping hot or icy cold. In the morning the first thing he did after he washed and prayed was to look out over the greenery of the garden, thus he only started to wear spectacles at the age of 100. I was not surprised because these were practices of the Nabi Muhammad (Peace and blessings upon him). But then Emaan started to describe another secret - maggots fried in garlic butter, I don’t even want to relate the whole wash a chicken and stuff it into a jar until the maggots appear thing. Anyway, I try to do that in the morning, I mean feast mine eyes upon the greenery, because hey I can’t get by without my specs ne, I have to keep something further away than my arm nowadays. Could not even put the thread through the needle this morning.

Ginger is part of the Zingiberaceae family. The MNT Knowledge Center features a collection of articles on the health benefits of popular foods. It highlights the history of ginger, its therapeutic benefits, and some important precautions you should be aware of before taking the herb. Check out the article by Christian Nordqvist at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265990.php and remember that there is good in most herbs but of course in moderation.

Later

Plant food and use ginger in moderation.
Yasmine

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment