Monday 23 June 2014

Welcome Ramadhan -23 June 2014


In the name of Allah, most gracious, most merciful.
 
 
Ok, so I packed away the cough syrup, flu tabs, but the honey and vicks have just got to stay. Enough of this flu, there’s work to be done!!! Putting away laptop with addictive series and starting a much needed spring clean to welcome Ramadhan.
 
Alhamdulilaah and Shukr for good weather, the sun has been out for a few days – much needed warm rays for all the plants and all of us of course. What with all the preparation for the start of Ramadhan the weekend. Celery strong – check. Turnips big enough – check, carrots bit too small – check (sad face). The spinach stand strong in saf, waiting to be chopped up for bajias and daltjies and spinach and cheese wraps. Spring onions ready for cheese and corn samosas, and enough danya chop chop chop. Mints and lemon grass for teas. Ramadhan calendar stuck to the wall in plain sight, scrimmaging through cupboards to take out falooda syrup and took maria seeds. Stocking up with fresh chana flour, sago and vermicelli and replenishing spices. Fresh dates for boeka and some to share inshaAllah.


Just a side note. I had a look at the stats for the blog and to date 1146 pagesviews yay!! And then I had a look at the audience and about 29 pageviews of readers come from Russia with love. My daughter and I wonder if this can be true, the only way we would know was if we had a Russian comment, Nyet? So we do hope that in Russia, in South Korea, in Abu Dhabi, Ghana, Malawi, Malaysia, Brazil.  Heck ALL OVER THE WORLD, there are people preparing for a Ramadhan, (Есть замечательный Рамадан) Yest' zamechatel'nyy Ramadan – in Russian I hope it means have an awesome Ramadhan!
Back to Ramadhan in Cape Town. I am making samosas to stock up and for a few personal friends and family. So tomorrow we start preparing and hope to fold a thousand inshaAllah. Wish a fairy could come and clean the house so all I can do is spend time folding ha ha.This year I am preparing some menus in my head and it should be wholesome and balanced. For too long Ramadhan is wonderful fasting and then gorging ourselves on too many sweet things and platters of food.

Our excuse is that we will get rid of it in the Taraweeg solaah. We really have to usher in more fruit and veggies and lots of water to balance our diets. The rule of thumb for me is always how nutritious and delicious it will be, to the dismay of my family sometimes, BORING! But I insist, well at least for myself and the ones who will join me. I don’t see the sense of the fast when we do this and stuff ourselves to the brim. We should be learning self-restraint and self-discipline as one of the spin offs of fasting. We fast for the sake of Allah and to develop taqwa. So what better an opportunity to start eating more healthy? Right? Right?

Don’t get me wrong, I just plain love sweet stuff – pancakes and fritters and waffles and shakes and dates. I also love all the savouries. But always in moderation, should be the spirit. Now some people eat solid breakfast for Suhur and some eat light. All of my kids wherever they are – everyone comes forward to help, shukran jazeelan. Lay the table, make some toast, warm milk, make tea and for the more adventurous fry some eggs and maybe some strips of rump steak with onion, green pepper and garlic, yum. Personally that’s a bit too heavy for me. I like to make smoothies with juice, yogisip, banana, apple and half a carrot and a small hand of oats. One or two dates and cuppa and I am good to go.

Ramadhan is also the time where one has the attention of the whole family, some crawling out of the woodwork to come and help, just love it. These were the moments that my sons learned to fold samosas, flip a pancake, make a fruit salad and really became interested in cooking and trying out new dishes and recipes. My daughters were stalwart taking charge especially in the times when I was pregnant or studying, ensuring that everything happened smoothly. My mother fashioned a Ramadhan environment that is with us forever. Joyous air in the house, about sharing, being helpful and being creative. We are all constantly creating new family rituals – for example for us this month is also a month of learning new things. Come on, there is so much time to do all of one’s obligations and recite a chapter for the day (or more if you prefer), help with chores and have some time left to learn something new.
Every year I set out to learn a lekker intricate challenging dessert or dish, that’s how I learnt to make cashew nut baklava, crème friache pavlova, paellas, and inshaAllah this year I want to make my own pasta!! Yay! Of course if I could learn to make hard cheeses would be superb but let me not get ahead of myself.

So as I sign off for the evening, a big cheer and shukran to the Hydepark College in Rondevlei, staff and learners of grade 6, 7 and 8. We had a smashing time planting strawberries and spinach and getting our hands dirty in the soil and compost and good conversation of the role that we need to play as custodians of the earth, recycling and respecting resources. The staff is always so supportive and helpful from the principal to the ground staff. May Allah bestow His barakah on everything that we do and every effort we make to plant. Ramadhaan Kareem to everyone where ever you may find yourself!
Ps. In the Popular Mechanics of March 2013 there is a wonderful article on how to create a seed bank. “How do seedbanks preserve their stock” by the author of the book The Seed Underground, Janisse Ray. Oulike article– how’s that as leaving a legacy for the future. The gist of it is to dry leftover seeds until they are brittle, store them in airtight glass containers and pop the in the freezer. This may last from between 20 years to 1000 years depending on the species and variety. Abu has started drying and packing but heck with our electricity outages can't risk freezing them here!

Plant food, eat seeds and save some 
 
Yasmine
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment