Monday 29 September 2014

Buckling down to studies during the poppy fiesta

In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful.


29 September 2014.

Where has the time flown to? September comes to an end and then one more term to the end of the year. The garden with all of its beauty and enticements does not draw me out at all today, save just for a quick walk to stretch legs from hours of typing and writing and reading other research. The poppies are just so awesome everyday more and more talking heads open, yep like they are having a conversation with everyone chipping in. They do their best to lure me outside, this beautiful spread of deep red but I am tough. I have some work to deliver to my supervisors inshaAllah and then I can get cracking!

So ja when I have work to do, I create the space without distraction, the phone does not get picked up for fear of long conversations that obstruct the day's work and the mind's trajectory. I am really on a high because in the middle of the night when the house is still I have my lightbulb moments. I beseech Allah's guidance, I recite with fervour and then it dawns upon me this will be my area of research in a sea of different ways to look at it. Ha, so I am happy to make good progress and I am happy that I have two excellent supervisors, thank you Allah, who allows me to run the gauntlet, yet as guiding beacons to an interesting and thorough study. I have done most of my marking for the youth leadership course and await meetings with tutors so we can send in marks.

But believe me, I close the door to keep myself glued to the computer, I allocate breaks and much cups of tea finds its way here. And then a friendly knock. "Gwannie - can I sit on your lap a bit?' Aah?  So here I am poised with a three year old, a cup of tea and a quick note.

Despite my attempts to quiet my space, release my creativity and investigate the development of my own work, the aroma of baking tries to find its in way here. Despite my resolute attitude, my mind is also in the hub of the Haram, at the pulse of the Tawaaf, on the plains of Mina and Arafah. Despite my resolve I wonder how the children of hujaj are coping. Despite the unfolding of questions for focus groups, my mind wanders a bit to the progress of the carving and slip out just for a peak. I am humbled at the progress and will take pictures to show you tomorrow.

Despite the lure of the surroundings I take a handful of strawberries, set down my grandson and buckle down, the more work I finish the quicker I can start my research. The quicker I can get marks in the for the Leadership course the better I can organise the final term.

I am resolute. Today, no disturbances, no housework, no cooking and no planning for Eid, at least not yet. I have enough pastry makers and roulade bakers and hey here comes Abu after shopping for supplies. Only me, the computer, and strawberries. What more could a girl ask for?

Grow food and contemplate the hajj.

Yasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment