Monday 22 September 2014

Strawberry spritzers and giant pumpkins


In the name of Allah, the most merciful, the most gracious.


 

 


20 September 2014.

What a treat, what barakah we have in the strawberries. Every day, twice a day or more we fill basins full and there are enough to eat for the students as well. As soon as its break time young boys in white thaubs scurry around like bees looking for fully ripened strawberries and have their fill. And when all is quiet the birds take their turn - there is enough for everyone thank you Allah.
We have strawberries in smoothies and on French toast (chopped up and chilled with a dash of castor sugar) on pancakes and in salads and strawberry spritzers and just as is. And we have enough left to give some to family and friends.

The new beds are firming up and the seedlings are strong even though there are some strong winds now and then and even though there is a bit of cold and especially after a bit of rainfall.
Alhamdulillah the last two batches of water melon konfyt have been superb as they were soaked in slaked lime for a bit more than two days, cut to proper manageable sizes and slow, slow cooked until the sugar had browned them and soaked in deeply and the aroma of dried ginger filled out senses. We bottled the konfyt and the rest was utilised and enjoyed by friends and neighbours and at home on slices of toast, on fresh brown bread and warmly baked bread. The last of the melons were cleaned this morning and peeled and pricked. I really must think of a better device for pricking the thick rind, our hands were aching as the last few pieces were immersed in a large bath of lime water. My friend Safiyyah did mention that she thought the spiked steel thingy that we used to put in vases to secure roses could probably do the job. Hhhhm, should try it. Late on Monday inshaAllah the melon will be a-cooking.

We cleared a long space of land next to the wall and composted it and transplanted some wild dagga as the neighbours cleared out all of theirs to plant a crop of potatoes, so the sunbirds know where to go. A few weeks ago they put in their chitted potatoes and now small plants have sprouted!  Against our side of the wall we planted the last of the onion seedlings, the onions we planted a few months ago are making their way into salads and food. We also planted some tomatoes, some spinach and I popped some butternut, squash, giant pumpkin and water melon seeds into the soil too.  I have grown sweet melons and cucumbers and squash but never red summer watermelon yet, so inshaAllah I look forward to it in the warm summer months.
Talk about giant pumpkins, Abu bought some clean seed giant pumpkins and planted one in a pot until I found a space where it could meander along. The potatoes in the baths have all been eaten and so I planted a few pea plants around the sides and some cucumber and one giant pumpkin in the middle. Thought they could hang over and ramble around and under the baths. As I tipped over the pot to take out the plant it slipped from my hands and I broke the stem.

Head in hands I sommer burst out crying, I have been waiting for weeks to find the right spot. With a firm Bismillah I pressed the stem together and pushed it into the soil. This morning I assumed the plant would be withered and verlep, and what do you know? The stem had healed, you can see in the pic, the pumpkin plant is producing buds which I will remove so it can get stronger first.  We have really enjoyed the crop of beetroot and planted some more, an entire bed full. We continue eating the nasturtium blossoms and the stems I trimmed off the pomegranate bush and placed in a vase continues to grow even in the water, subhaanallah!
The flax seeds are dried out and find their way on porridge, on bread and sprinkled around for the birds. I crumble the seed heads and blow lightly on the thin skins and I have a spoonful of seeds are left in my palm. The new poppies are taking their time to open their petals and it looks like these blooms will be white. The purple irises are in full bloom and the seeds that I thought had died in the cold weather have made their appearance some Canterbury bells and pansies. The sweet peas (thought they were dwarf bushes) somehow wind themselves around any plants in their path and will be flowering soon and I am so happy the delphinium plants are growing stronger and thicker at the feet of the poppies. One arum lily will be blooming soon and all of the artichoke seedlings have been planted. My sister in law sent me a few brinjals and pepper seedlings and I write as I wait for the shade to plant them in.

Later.

Grow food and plant giant pumpkins.

Yasmine

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment