Tuesday 2 December 2014

Koeksister Sunday .



In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful.


30 November 2014.

Early in the morning, the world around us sleeps while I pick strawberries for breakfast; the world sleeps as I check the plants and soil. The worlds still sleeps as I sugar koeksisters and make a fresh pot of tea, allow it to infuse.  In the meantime, the kitties wake up and mew because they are hungry and as I open the backdoor they bounce out and amongst the rows and rows of potted plants. No peeing in my plants! Look what you did to The Sage.

I cast mine eyes unto the mountains and it looks superimposed on the blue skyline, breathtakingly beautiful Masha Allah.  As I do my rounds the artichoke bushes are crowning, yep baby heads are appearing and the okra bushes are starting to show their lady fingers. Small ellipses of eggplants hang on the brinjal bushes and the tomatoes are being reddened by the sun – big splenders and konfyt tomatoes and teenie tiny ones for salads, yay!  And I did cook the Chinese cabbage in oumense onder die komberse stew. It was not too bad but the texture is definitely softer but I did not want it to go to waste. It is much better suited for stir fries though,  in the stew it was grealyt enjoyed none the less.

A few nights ago we made a delicious chicken curry with aromatic basmati and I added some of the fava bean about two handfuls, unshelled. I added it to the curry just as I put in the potato and all I can say is wows all-round the table! It was soft and creamy and just downright delectable. I am so planting more. I have been giving everyone to cook and to taste and never got round to that vegetarian curry yet so ja, fava bean, broad bean is excellent in any curry. 

Went off to the movies yesterday, it’s been a long time. So we sat close to the front because Abu forgot his specs and man, the screen is in your face! But we had a lekker time, popcorn and chocolate and giggles. Today Abu and the kids are off – Luqmaan is druk busy with carvings and new designs. And it is so peaceful here. A dog yelps in the distance and occasionally a car passes I guess everyone is on the beach. Me, I am still marking with a smile on my face for some of the comments at the end of scripts. 

Yesterday I was in Zen mood  and would have loved a small Japanese garden with beautiful boulders to balance on and a rake to make neat little patterns  that make the mind peaceful . So instead took four square clay pots, transplanted the overgrown plants in them, washed them out and displayed them on the concrete bench. Like an artist I walked around them, perused it from a distance and then, a lightbulb moment. Hmmm some hardy plants, some white pebbles, go for the minimalist look. Could look grand down the centre of a dinner table ne?

I am not cooking lunch it’s far too good a day to be spent in front of pots. I am still looking for unripened green figs to make konfyt with – Abu bought me a konfyt pot and it is beautiful. It has a thick base and a good size so now I don’t have to cook in two pots Alhamdulillah.  The smaller fig trees are starting to fruit but alas too few about 12 green figs if I am lucky.  Next year is my fig year, should Allah spare me, the small trees have grown to over a metre already.  I am already thinking of ripe figs in salads; grilled with slices of camembert on toast; with ice-cream and on its own hhmmm. Hey maybe not to count my chickens ne the Lansdowne area fig trees were all infested with bumble bee eggs and had to be chopped down.

Well Abu is back with some fresh lamb chops. Did I say I am not cooking? I lied. While I make an awesome curry my daughter makes rotis. My grandson Mikaeel has a filled a bath of cool water and is lounging in it to cool off - hoping to entice the kitties to join him. They smell the bath and lift up their arrogant chins and strut off to lay in a cool corner somewhere, the heat is turned up today. If  I have energy maybe I’ll make some dessert or bake a bread, you know what Sundays can be like, it may just be a lazy day lounging around like the kitties.

Plant food and take a walk on the beach when it cools down.
Yasmine

Some pics from the Gourmet garden at IPSA:








No comments:

Post a Comment