Tuesday 2 December 2014

Rhubarb stews



In the name of Allah the most gracious the most merciful.

Rhubarb sorbet from simply recipes


2 November 2014.

Early this morning I asked Abubakr to drop me off at UCT I needed to go up to the library, stop sommer here I will dash up the stairs like I used to. Huge mistake. I walk up the stairs and my legs are not just aching it is in pain but I stand for a moment looking over the horizon and rub my legs. The day is beautifully cool and cloudy and temperamental.

I continue up the stairs and I realize I may be able to pull a 50 m heavy hose around, work in the beds all day take my little jog/walks around but I am unfit!!!! So I walk around leisurely into the shops and look for little gifts and when I look at the prices I change my mind and methinks giving gifts of nature of plants like strawberries and lavender wrapped up in cellophane is going to be it. 

Yep this is the time for gifts – end of year shukran gifts, Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, anniversary gifts (hint hint). And ja, I do think giving a plant or a few and a bag of compost is an excellent choice. I have the perfect little gift plants.

Anyway so I make my way to the library and the scanner does not recognize my student card, heck I don’t recognize the photo myself. And then I try to log in and my passwords don’t work. But I am not fazed by small things. I take a walk have a tea and a gorgeous choc mousse croissant and make notes. I have my password reset, search for my research readings, take out my books and here I am writing a quick blog because I may get home and the electricity is off again.

Yesterday was a lazy day for me, I resisted my daughter’s book stack until yesterday. I am a book guzzler. I speed read for studies and can’t read slowly no more. I try, I go back savour the sections read it over but then I am off. So I enjoyed reading the Divergent trilogy and the Mocking Jay and with all of that out of my system I am busy with research again. 

As soon as I get home will be planting rhubarb and more okra and lots more danya inshaAllah. I also have a row of peas to plant. I want to try a rhubarb stew with yoghurt, but got to rush Abu is outside! But wait I have a look at this from

from http://shutitandeatyourveggies.wordpress.com

 

re Your Rhubarb Stalks Handy? Ready, Set, Cook!
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie (Vegan: veganthyme.com)
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb stalks (chopped)
2 1/2 cups strawberries (sliced)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t fresh lemon zest
2 t sugar to sprinkle on the top of pie
Preheat oven to 425. In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well.  Let it sit for about 15 minutes to marinate. Assuming you already have your pie crust in the pan, pour in your all of your ingredients.  Put a pie crust on the top of your pan to seal the deal.  Make slits on your upper pie shell for ventilation. Sprinkle on your sugar and throw that sucker into your piping hot oven.  Cook for about 30 mins.  Then turn down your oven to 350 and cook another 30 minutes. Gage it. Every oven is different.
You want a beautiful brown top and a cooked gooey inside.


Later

plant food, kick up your feet and read a book.

Yasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment