Monday 28 July 2014

Beautiful night of Eidul Fitr.


In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful. Who changes the day into the night and the night into day. Who brings light after darkness and who brings guidance after misguidance.
28 July 2014

tonight the silver sliver
Last night we went moon sighting after an elusive moon, not expecting to see it with the naked eye and tonight that silver sliver of illuminated light floats in a beautiful serene sky! After days filled with rain and cold and dark skies the wind cleared the sky as we drove towards Three Anchor Bay, Subhanallah. Thick coats and scarfs and boots; thick carpets for praying and thick skinned against the cold. Our children wanted to experience the gathering of the clans like they did when they were toddlers running around on a warm summers Asr, many moons ago. The walk was brisk and refreshing, people walking with picnic baskets that contain all kinds of finger niceties to break fast with - water and dates and fresh juices and bite size chicken and delights. Alas the cold was a bit much ne, so when I got a call for a warm cup of boeber or tea – let's pack up and follow this conversation with the Voice of the Cape who will give the official notice.

And then the Takbir resounded as we sat outside sipping tea and I just burst out crying – for my parents who have passed and the blessed month that has come to an end and my kids all over the world and for me, who forgot to take out the leg of lamb; make the brioche dough and cook the corned beef. I was not expecting this. But it was so wonderful making our Eshaa salah in a family group giving Shukr and making duah for all oppressed peoples and even those who oppress their own souls.
So late night all hands on deck all of the things we wanted to do today, everyone has to ghusl and change their bedding and let’s not get flowers there is no time! What do we have a garden filled with greenery for?

This year we decided to attend the mosque and do our greetings in the proximity of our siblings and came home just on Thuhr. The children look so beautiful and as is our culture wait patiently for their gifts of money (smart ne).We postponed lunch till the evening as our stomachs were unused to all the treats. I made a traditional leg of lamb, so no surprises, with sweet saffron rice and delectable sweet potato and crisp carrots but I did try something new. So I made a delectable warm beetroot salad from the garden - just kidding we ate all of that in the Ramadhan, I got it from that little shop in Earnest Road Rylands called Rylands Superette.
I served the baklava with vanilla yoghurt and placed some fruit and nuts and tore open the pomegranate – my attempt to wholesome beautiful things that grace the table with small bite size melon konfyt when my guests came by and continue to pop in. I boiled the beetroot so that the skin slipped off but the beetroot was still crisp dribbled olive oil over the wedges and grilled for another half an hour. Made a dressing of balsamic vinegar, rosemary, honey, olive oil and ground pepper (Azrah did) which I set aside until I half crumbled/broke some feta all over it then dressed it up. It was just drop dead gorgeous! I stashed the prawns for tomorrow which I will serve in a light coconut based curry with garlic naan. There is something to be said about making something for Eid and giving the haq of every ingredient, I know some of us are busy working and have little time. InshaAllah next year it will be better.


baklava and friends


fruits of jannah

wholesome snacks


I wish you all a Mubarak Eid evening ahead wherever you may find yourself in the world, here in Cape Town, its really beautiful outside, I am so taking a walk!
Plant food and empty your pockets for all the kids you see.

Yasmine

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this...made me so homesick! Eid Mubarak ♥

    ReplyDelete