Sunday 13 July 2014

Spice is in our blood!


In the name of Allah the most gracious, the most merciful.
15 Ramadhan 2014
 
Love in the mist pic Dr Dan’s garden tips

Last night we stood in qunut asking Allah to guide us and pardon us and be our ally, to bless us and save us and we to turn to Him in repentance, it is such a beautiful duah, Subhanallah. Last night the qunut was also performed as is the norm on the 15th night of Ramadhan but also in the face of calamity calling on His assistance. The power of duah is not to be taken lightly.
When we fasted as children and the midway point arrives, the 15th of Ramadhan, we would ask each other, “Is jy op die berg?” (Are you on the mountain). When my older children were little my eldest ones about 8 and 10, my eldest  son would be the last one standing as the monthlies arrived and I can still picture the pride on his face as we all sat at the table enviously watching him close his eyes to take that first sip of water.

So today it is special for all those “op die berg”, baie slamat! No special soups such as cream of mushroom or butternut or harira or corn, ITS BOEBER NIGHT!!! It’s pulling out the stops, so a nutritious bump up with a fruit salad and evaporated milk. It’s a toss-up for lasagne or cannelloni at our house.
This week I decided to start planting things that has special reverence such as black seed (Kalonji, black cumin, Greek coriander) nigella satvia. I am completely taken with the pictures of its flowers (some call it love in the mist). I love this blog have a look at the site where I borrowed the picture from: http://drdanslandscaping.blogspot.com/2012/03/sensitivity.html. Scrimmaged through the cupboards, alas no black seed. Then I remembered I made some surprise rolls and sprinkled them on top. In a Turkish restaurant in Sudan we had some magnificent bread sprinkled with black cumin as a starter. It was all puffed up and light inside and so yummy we tore off pieces and finished it in no time.

Anyway so I knew that I would not find any around what with not having wheels, I sent out pigeons with messages everywhere (just kidding). A friend and co-worker Ziyaad on his way home had his sister buy some when he was picked up (huge shukran Ziyaad and sister). How chaffed was I? The weather seemed warm enough to seed and I scattered some in little nooks and crannies, in pots and punnets and inshaAllah with duah it will sprout. The packet only cost R5.00 and I still have two thirds left. I used to eat some and add to the food because of all of its excellent nutritious properties and to stimulate my energy levels after the flu. A friend takes the oil in the morning and swears by it. So I thought let’s plant some more medicinal plants.
Pic from Shugliblogspot.com
This morning I had such a lekker comment from one of our students about the blog and it spurred me on to look at other exotic fruits too. She wanted to know more about the dragon fruit and I am hoping we find some soon so I can get a taste, I discover it is also called pitaya. Other exotic fruits I love are star fruits and custard apples – InshaAllah I hope to get a tree soon as well as litchis. Check out this site: http://www.butterfingers.co.za/exotic-fruits-of-the-east  It was a special treat that my Dad used to bring home (the custard apple I mean) and last I found it at Wembleys.

flax in our garden
So I am quite chaffed with flaxseed or linseed that I scattered with its beautiful little purple flowers and when they drop off little round seed pods, shukran Soraya and shukran Allah. The fenugreek is ready to be picked and the dill stands elegantly. The aniseed must still make an appearance and I am not sure what in heavens name those little grassy plants are where I threw the cumin seeds. The ginger is happier in warmer surroundings and I am going completely bos as soon as spring appears with other spice seeds. How cool would it be to have a tamarind tree or a clove tree, what about some cinnamon and mace trees. For now I am content with curryleaf and bayleaf – for sure spice is in our blood.
Plant food and spices and exotic fruits too.

Yasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment