Tuesday 29 July 2014

The day before work, the day after.

In the name of Allah most gracious, most merciful.
 

The day after Eid. Alhamdulilaah, well rested and trying to get in a few more visits and then the pretty bed spread goes back into the cupboard.

Many are fasting still for the six days of Shawwal and those who have received permission are preparing for hajj, how absolutely exciting. So prospective hujjaj, if you have butterflies in your tummy its quite normal. While we stood shoulder to shoulder yesterday in masjid, Palestinian solidarity stand firm as Muslim mosques are bombed and the churches opened their doors like Al Najaasi (the Negus) gave the early Muslims sanctuary against the Idolators. Subhanallah.

In Schaapkraal the weather continues to be damp but I am happy that, wait for it - the black seeds I strew around are all popping up as are the basil seeds, new lettuce and beetroot. The veggies in the crate from Nefies are lush I really want to get at least two more. It is protected from the wind and the gophers and worms somehow take long to discover them, thus they flourish. By the way, I think the gopher that was in our garden in Lansdowne has finally found her way to the new strawberry beds ha ha.

I am so excited to see the poppies blooming so I am checking everyday just for a glimpse maybe to see it unfurl - is red is it yellow?

Tossing prawns
  And so I made the prawns this evening. I bought some garlic naan (too lazy to make some), coconut cream and prawns from the Rylands superette and I loved that they were fresh when I cooked them, no cleaning and snipping yay!


I took time thawing the prawns and rinsed lightly so they were not waterlogged and spiced with grated garlic and seafood masala (the wet one) from Shaik's. I wet the base of a warm pan with a bit of oil and tossed in the prawns, fried them
prawns starting to curl
quickly on both sides just until they curled into half moons and put them aside. In the same pan I sautéed a finely chopped onion, added a few fresh curry leaves from the tree; 2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped and added a side of red and green peppers, also finely chopped. As the aroma filled the kitchen and it was cooked for five minutes I added a grated tomato and 2 teaspoons of seafood masala and bit of salt to taste. Chucked the prawns back and allowed to simmer for 5 more minutes.

We attempted to capture all of it on camera but alas the battery was flat so pics only of me frying the prawns. I added the tin of coconut cream and asked someone to run outside for a handful of danya which I snippered in with a scissor. Then I warmed a roti/tawa pan and tossed the frozen naan on flipping them over every 30 seconds until they were soft and ready to be served. Voila! all of this in half an hour. Prawns must please not be overcooked, and try to get a roti or tawa pan - I saw some at Rylands Superette. But check to see if it has a good steel base. (My children also use it for cheese burghers and its excellent for French toast because its non stick.)

This is a naan recipe I generally use, but this evening the ones I bought were just as good:

Naan

 Ingredients

  • ½ tsp dried yeast
  • 4 tablespoons warm water
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup plain yoghurt
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter or ghee
  • 4 ½ cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • Some poppy seeds or black seed
Mix yeast and water and sugar and set aside until it becomes frothy.
Mix together milk, yoghurt, egg and melted butter and set aside.
Sieve flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and make a well.
Fold in all liquid ingredients and knead into a soft dough.
Continue kneading until smooth, cover with cling wrap or plastic.
Divide dough into 8 equal portions and shape into round balls.
Roll out on floured board or table and pull out one side to create a pear shape.
Brush the top with some melted butter and sprinkle with some poppy seeds or sesame seeds or whatever seeds are your fancy..
Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or on the roti pan..
 
The prawns recipe is in the text.

 
Plant food and learn to make your own Naan!
Yasmine
 



 

2 comments:

  1. This blog is so amazing, Mashallah! Can't wait to read the rest of the entries... this is addictive, informative, humorous, etc,etc,etc! btw Eid Mubarak <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says the student whose essays I cannot wait to mark! Eid Mubarak to you too and see ya Friday IA!

      Delete